Powder-coating is one of the more popular types of paint application, mainly where metal (or, more specifically, aluminium) doors and window frames are concerned. Not only does it give these items a sleek appearance, but it has the additional benefit of making security doors and windows more durable.
Related Post: What Are Security Doors Made Of?
In the first place: What is powder-coating?
First things first: what does powder-coating do? Powder-coating involves the electrostatic application of dry paint on a metal surface; the painted material is then allowed to cure under heat.
The application process follows three steps:
- Pre-treatment wherein the material to be painted on is cleaned of any foreign particles such as grease or dirt to ensure a smooth finish;
- Spraying on a mixture of coloured pigments onto the material comes next. This powdered mixture chemically bonds to the material it is sprayed onto, adhering to it permanently; and finally
- Curing the painted material calls for baking it in an industrial oven at a high temperature. The applied pigments melt onto the metal, hardening into an even coating all over as they cool.
What are the benefits of powder-coated security doors?
Painting aluminium security doors with powder-coating has the following benefits:
- Increased durability for doors, protecting them against the regular wear and tear of everyday use. In coastal areas, it also protects doors from saline damage due to the high salt content in the air. Likewise, if you live in arid regions, it can protect doors from getting scratched by blown sand or damaged by extreme heat.
- Little to no maintenance, as regular wiping is all you need to keep powder-coated doors clean – no need for sanding, staining, or repainting.
- Eco-friendly and sustainable, since powder-coating is done in a sealed area and therefore reduces air pollution. Any unused powdered pigment is saved for another use.
- Available in a variety of styles and colours so you can choose a door that looks great in your home.
Talk to Betta Security Today About Security Doors for Your Home
Need powder-coated security doors that will keep you safe? Give us a call. We offer a wide variety of options to suit your needs.